2019 ADDY Awards – Birth of the Cool
2019 ADDY Awards Show will be held @ Hotel Northland in Downtown Green Bay.
Date of the show will be announced soon (show will be take place in late February).
Submissions will be open from November 27, 2018 to January 4, 2019 at 5pm.
Click here to begin the online submission process.
Rules & Categories
Drop Off Locations
After submitting your work online, you ***must bring TWO physical samples*** of your work to one of the below drop off sites. Each entry must be submitted in an appropriately-sized bag along with a signed manifest/invoice. Large clear bags are available for FREE at both drop off sites. Deadline for drop off is Friday, January 4 at 5pm.
*Please package each of your entries yourself. Do not expect the receptionist at the drop off sites to do this for you.
- Image Studios, 1100 S Lynndale Dr, Appleton, WI
- Studio 44, 1001 Scheuring Rd, De Pere, WI
- Nov. 27: Call for entries Begins. (Sign up online then drop off work samples to either Studio 44 in DePere or Image Studios in Appleton.)
- Friday, Jan. 4, 5pm: DEADLINE for entries
- Date TBA: ADDY Award Show @ Hotel Northland, Downtown Green Bay
Cost to Submit Work:
- Professional Members: $80 per entry
- Professional Non-members: $130 per entry
- Student members & non-members: $25 per entry
- For questions, contact President Mackenzie Hanus (920) 471-9801 or Vice President Matt Vanden Boomen (920) 983-2911
What are the ADDYs?
The ADDYs are the largest and most representative advertising competition. Each year, it attracts more than 40,000 entries in local American Advertising Federation (AAF) competitions, including AAF-Fox River.
The competition includes both professional and student work, recognizing and rewarding creative excellence in the art of advertising.
What awards can you win?
Work submitted to the AAAs can receive three possible awards:
SILVER ADDY: Advertising work considered outstanding and worthy of recognition at the local competition.
GOLD ADDY: Advertising work recognized as the highest level of creative excellence and judged superior to all other entries.
JUDGES CHOICE ADDY: Advertising work recognized by the judges, highlighting features they like best. These three awards are subjective and can be awarded to work submitted in any category of the competition.
BEST OF SHOW ADDY: Advertising work ranked above and beyond any other entries within the local competition. It is awarded at the end of the show, similarly to the Best Picture award at the Oscars.
How many awards are given out?
There is no set number of awards given each year. The judges determine the number of awards given in each category based on the relative quality of work in that category. That means the creative work submitted by the advertisers of the Fox River determines the competitiveness of the awards. And that’s why you should submit your work — to push the awards to be even more representative of the awesome creative being produced right here in the Midwest.
What happens after the local competition?
The local ADDYs is the first phase of the three-tier competition where agencies, freelancers and students can be recognized as the best in their markets. Local Gold ADDY winners move on to compete against winners from other local clubs in one of 15 district competitions. AAF-Fox River winners compete in the AAF District 8 competition — which includes work from Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota — held in March.
If you win at the AAF District 8 ADDYs, your work will move on to the AAF National competition held at ADMERICA every year. Entering your work at the local level is your first step toward winning a National American Advertising Award and being recognized among advertising legends.
What do the ADDYs support?
AAF uses all proceeds from the ADDYs to support the entire advertising industry at the national, district and local levels. That’s how AAF is able to enhance the advertising produced in the Fox River Valley and other markets through programs, including public service, internships, advocacy groups, advertising education, and consumer awareness.
What are the Student ADDYs?
The student competition of the ADDYs is sponsored by AAF and Ad 2 National. As a unique national awards program, the Student ADDYs is designed to showcase the incredible work being created by students as part of their educational coursework.
Students are eligible to enter work if they meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be enrolled full- or part-time in an accredited U.S. educational institution.
- Student interns are eligible to enter, meaning any work that was created during your internship and is approved to be entered by your manager may be entered.
- Submitted work can be developed specifically for this competition or from previous projects or student contests; however, work must be created while the entrant is a student and not employed in the advertising industry.
Student work that wins at the local level can move up to the regional and national levels, just like the work entered by professionals across the country.
*Copyright infringement and/or plagiarism (be it intentional or unintentional) will result in the disqualification and, if applicable, awards will be removed from any entry deemed in violation. All entry fees will be forfeited.
What do national student winners receive?
Student work that wins at the local, district and national levels receive the following:
- Finalist certificate — great for résumés and portfolios.
- Prestigious Student American Advertising Award for first-place winners.
- $1,000 cash prize for National Best of Show winner.
At the local level, students receive a Student American Advertising Award for first-place work. Simply entering your work and attending the awards show also gets your name and work in front of many Fox River advertising professionals. Remember, networking is one of the best ways to get a job and foster the growth of your career.